FIND out where to go for information about services in Cornwall

Services for BAME Communities | Interpretation and Translation Services | Learning EnglishInternational Family Tracing | Converting Qualifications | Faith Groups | Health | Housing | Education | Volunteering | Libraries | Money | Legal | Arts and Leisure

Services specifically for Black Asian and Minority Ethnic communities living in Cornwall

Community Development Service hosted by Pentreath Ltd – provide support to Black Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, including Migrant Workers and Gypsies and Travellers across Cornwall, experiencing mental health difficulties including stress, anxiety, isolation and low mood.  Tel:01726 862727  CDW Service leaflet

BAME Community Development Advisor working with Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic individuals and communities across Cornwall.

TravellerSpace is a registered charity supporting Gypsies, IrisTravellerspaceh Travellers and New Travellers in Cornwall and the South West.  07939 210014/07534 983046    Facebook    Twitter

Polish community Support a project based in Newquay supporting the Polish community

The Diversity Network for Cornwall dedicated to promoting diversity in Cornwall.

The Cornwall Racial Equality Service Supports ethnic, racial, religious and linguistic diversity in Cornwall. Events, constitutions and contacts.

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Migrant Worker Police Community Support Officers (PCSO’s) working with Migrant Workers across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.

Safer Cornwall say NO to Hate Crime. Find out more about reporting hate incidents and hate crime.

Cultural Threads creative arts organisation celebrating cultural diversity in Cornwall.

Serendipity is a diversity-led organization with the specific aim of working in partnership with mainstream organizations to put on quality culturally diverse work across the region.

Interpretation and Translation Services in Cornwall

Bridging Languages provides an interpretation and translation service for all organisations in Cornwall.  All of Bridging Languages interpreters are qualified in interpretation and mental health, as well as DBS checked.  If you are interested in training to become an interpreter, or want to book an interpreter please get in touch. Petra Khan-Vesinova 07979895816

Jobline Staffing recruits interpreters and translators, and also provides an interpretation and translation service for Cornwall.

Learning English

learn englishPenwith/Truro College English for Speakers of Other languages (ESOL) courses.

Cornwall College also run ESOL classes.

Link into Learning Skills for Life specialists run English courses for speakers of other languages (ESOL) in Newquay, Falmouth, Barncoose and Penzance.

Tracing Family

British Red Cross provides an international family tracing service.

Converting Qualifications to UK Equivalents

UK NARIC national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills. It performs this official function on behalf of the UK Government.

Other information about BAME services

Tamu BakeryA Project which works with women from across the world, fighting against gender based violence using the power of baking.

Devon and Cornwall Refugee support

Devon BME Directory

Black South West Network 

Migrant Women’s Network supporting the rights of migrant and refugee women in the UK.

Friends Families and Travellers – national charity working on behalf of all Gypsies and Travellers regardless of ethnicity, culture or back ground.

Kushti Bok - group representing both Gypsy and New Traveller communities in Dorset.

Faith Groups

Multifaith forum Dor Kemmyn promotes understanding and dialogue between faith communities and other beliefs in Cornwall. It is an important aim of the Forum to challenges intolerance in society.  It also aims to support the community to build a better understanding of each others faiths and beliefs and of each other as individuals. bringing together many religions.  Together these groups are building the UK’s first Multi-faith Centre.

 Islamic centre The first and only dedicated Islamic Centre in Cornwall. The Centre is run by the Cornwall Islamic Trust.shutterstock_157649021

Jewish community in Cornwall 

Catholic churches in Cornwall

Churches together in Cornwall

Plymouth Centre for Faiths and cultural diversity

Churches Together in England   Black and multicultural churches directory

National Interfaith forum


Doctors A list of local GPs is available here.   You need to go to a surgery to register.  A GP will give advice, prescribe medicines and tell you about other  services.

Emergencies If you have an accident or are seriously ill contact your GP.  If the surgery is closed, you will be directed to an out of hours service.  For minor injuries you can go to a Minor Injury Unit, at a local hospital. For emergencies only you can go to an Accident and Emergency Unit.

Dentists  How to find a dentist  There are also private dentists who will usually charge more than a NHS dentist.

Mental Health Services If you have mental health problems go to your GP.  They will help you themselves, daffodilsor tell you what other support is available.

Mental health services information

Cornwall Partnership NHS Trust works with people who have mental health problems in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.  Telephone 01208 251 300 and ask to be put through to the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) in the area where you live.

Pentreath – offers support to people who are recovering from mental health problems. They have Community Development Workers (CDW’s), who will work with and support Black and Minority Ethnic communities and individuals to access mental health services and promote emotional well being.

Outlook South West –  Outlook South West help people (aged 16+) who are suffering with anxiety and depression. Their free (NHS-funded) counselling and talking therapy services are delivered throughout Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. They offer one-to-one sessions (including via a translator where needed), or various groups and courses which teach people self-help skills for managing problems around: stress, low mood, worry, sleep problems and anger. To access their services you can self-refer or speak to a doctor / health professional.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Advisors can listen to your concerns/provide info. on nhs services/advise and support patients/help sort out problems.

Interpreters If you need an interpreter, your hospital, GP, dentist or optician must arrange one for you, and pay for it. It is important to have an interpreter for medical matters, so that medical staff can understand you, and give you the right treatment.


Housing advice: Cornwall Council

Shelter (01872 888631)

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB) 03444 111444

Stonham Byan have a drop in housing advice service and their Gateway phone number is open from 9am until 12pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Council Services 

One Stop Shops have information about library services, housing, benefits, council tax, disabled parking badges and refuse and recycling.  They offer advice on how to apply for Council services online.  Most One Stop Shops have free internet access to the Council’s website and other public service websites. One Stop Shops can take payments for council services.

Council Tax.  This is a tax set by Cornwall Council on all residential property. If you are on benefits or a low income, you maybe entitled to Council Tax Benefit, which will reduce the amount that you have to pay.  If you need help with paying rent then contact Cornwall Council.

Education and Family Support

Education in state schools is free and schools are divided up into primary (ages 5-11) and secondary (11-18). There are different types of school, some are Church of England or Roman Catholic. There are primary schools in many villages, and a secondary school in most towns.  A list of these schools is available and further information for parents in Russian, Polish and Portuguese is available from the Admissions Team Helpline – 0300 1234 101

 Cornwall Council’s website – information about schools and education in Cornwall.

How to find a schoolthe word learning

At the ages of 5 and 11 primary and secondary school places are decided centrally.  At the Family Information Service there are Choice Advisors, who can support families who have recently arrived and speak English as an Additional Language. If your child is any other age, you have the right to approach the head teacher of any school in your area to ask if they will take your child. Schools are not allowed to discriminate against a child because of their race or nationality status. However, the head teacher does have the right to refuse your child a place if the school is full. In this case you can refer to the Admissions and Transport team to find out which schools in your area do have places. Pupils who are new to English may receive extra support in learning English from their school. The school will make an assessment of their needs and may recommend further help.  Schools and colleges in Cornwall.

If you want more information on individual schools this is available from the Department for Education website or via the Ofsted Data Dashboard

Support for Minority Ethnic Children

The Equality and Diversity Service is a specific service that supports minority ethnic children, shutterstock_245660692including those who speak English as an Additional Language. The service has access to telephone interpreters and will help if you are experiencing any difficulties getting support for your children.  Equality and Diversity 01872 327529

Protecting Children

Anyone feeling uncomfortable about a situation concerning a child can call the  NSCCP Child Protection Helpline for free confidential advice – 0808 800 5000. If you need to talk in a language other than English, they recommend asking a trusted friend to speak as your interpreter. If you cannot find an interpreter, the NSPCC can usually provide one for you. Ask for one at the beginning of your call.

Phone Cornwall County Council’s Social Care department if you have serious concerns. They can use a telephone interpreter if you need one. 0300 1231 116.

Childline– Helpline for Children in Trouble or Danger 0800 1111

Family Learning If you would like to learn English with your children or find out ways in which you can help your children with their schoolwork, there are free courses available. Just phone the Family Learning Office. 01872 327520 shutterstock_143622739

If you would like support with your children, there are Children’s Centres across Cornwall. They provide courses to help parents – healthy eating, breastfeeding support, IT classes, crèches and toddler play groups.

Family Services

The Care and Support in Cornwall website is a comprehensive website holding information for families, listing services across Cornwall.  It has information about leisure, health, education, parenting and much more. Freephone 0800 587 8191

Access to Higher Education

Link into Learning is the specialist ‘Skills for Life’ provider in Cornwall. It offers friendly, flexible help with the essential skills – adult literacy, numeracy, English for speakers of other languages and basic IT skills.  Literacy and Numeracy courses are free.  Fees are charged for ESOL and IT.

All Link Into Learning Centres are listed on this page on Cornwall Council’s website. Cornwall Council also offers a wide variety of Adult Education Courses in Cornwall: for a list of centres and details of courses see their website


Volunteer Cornwall  Volunteer Centres are open Monday – Thursday from 9.30 – 4.30 and closed for lunch from 12.30 – 1.30pm.


child readingThere are libraries in most towns in Cornwall. In addition to a wide range of books, our branch libraries provide access to national and local newspapers and free internet access. You can also hire CDs, DVDs, computer games, music scores (vocal and orchestral), plays and play sets from your branch library.  Access to IT:   Libraries and One Stop Shops provide access to computers and free internet. Access to other resources eg photocopy, laminator, printing – at your local library or one stop shop.


Help when you are not working. If you have not lived and worked in the UK, you will not normally have paid National Insurance contributions, and so will not be entitled to contributory benefits. However there may be circumstances where you may be able to get some benefits. You can get details on the Department for Work and Pensions website  Contact Jobcentre Plus offices. Phone 0345 604 3719 to contact your local Centre (there are job centres in most towns in Cornwall).


Christians Against Poverty is a debt counselling charity, with a Debt Centre in Truro, Cornwall. Call for help 0800 328 0006

National Debtline advice and help with debt.  Debt Helpline 0808 808 4000

Credit Unions

A Credit Union is a locally run organisation where people can save money even if you cannot open a bank account. They can also transfer money. You can start saving with as little as £1. More information

Finding workshutterstock_149969006

If you are looking for a job in Cornwall look in the local papers or on the internet.  Jobcentre Plus has a network of offices where you can find information about jobs locally.  You do not have to be unemployed to use this service which is provided free of charge.  You can find Jobcentre Plus offices in Bodmin, Bude, Helston, Launceston, Liskeard, Newquay, Penryn, Penzance, Redruth, St Austell and Truro.

Self Employment Information

Start Your Own Business

shutterstock_141051952Local Enterprise Partnership

National Enterprise Agency

Social Enterprises and Co-operatives

Cornwall School for Social Entrepreneurs


Contact: Citizens Advice Bureau and Cornwall Rural Community Council

Migrant Legal Project is a not-for-profit organisation in Plymouth providing advice and representation on immigration, asylum and nationality matters.  01752 547 134the word legal

Legal Aid for Immigration cases is no longer available (since April 2013) but this project is able to offer a fee paying service on a not-for-profit basis. They charge an hourly rate of £100 for one-off advice (£150 if you also require written advice) or have fixed fees for taking on cases at application or appeal stage.

Their advisers are accredited by the Law Society as Level 2 Senior Caseworkers and are registered by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) registration number F201100318.  They are authorised under the terms of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 for the provision of immigration advice.

Bindmans Law Firm have a dedicated team of immigration lawyers – 020 7833 4433, they may be able to help – or to refer you onto someone who can.

Arts and Leisurethe word festival

The Eden Project is the home of the biggest plant conservatories in the world and is one of the most visited attractions in the UK. Eden, based in a former quarry near St Austell, aims to reconnect people to their environment, locally and globally.

Cornish Culture Events and organisations – information about Cornish Culture. There are also many community choirs, in Cornwall as well as arts organisations, theatre groups, childrens workshops and dance schools etc.

Cornish Choirs

Carn to Cove – a performing arts scheme for rural areas

Cornwall Arts and Crafts Directory


There are several leisure centres and swimming pools in Cornwall, and a large number of sports clubs:  Contact Cornwall Council for information.swimming pool

For children aged 8-13 the Cornwall Sports Partnership run various evening multi sport activities across Cornwall. Most events are free or very low cost.